Did you know, that even though they are all preserved fruit spreads, there are differences between jams, jellies and preserves? Jellies are made from the extracted juice of the fruits while jams are made from crushed fruit and preserves contain large chunks of fruit. History gives credit to the countries in the Middle East for introducing us to the art of preserving fruit; back then, they preserved the fruit in a concoction of natural cane sugar and fruit pectin. Today, the store shelves are lined with a vast inventory of fruit spreads; nevertheless, many of them contain excess sugar, artificial coloring and flavors as well as other synthetic ingredients. However, there is still a huge demand for the artisan made all natural fruit spread of yesteryear.
A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of telling you a little bit about Norm’s Farms all natural elderberry extracts and wellness syrup, now I am back to gush about their handcrafted all natural jams, jellies and preserves. Made with ingredients such as elderberries, blueberries, pecan and ginger, Norm’s Farms fruit spreads are healthy and delicious treats for your taste buds. I received four jars of fruit spreads for this review – Elderberry Jam, Elderberry Ginger Pecan Jam, Blueberry Elderberry Preserves and Elderberry Jelly. Although there are no losers in this race of yumminess, my favorite of the four has to be the Elderberry Jelly. I love the balanced flavor and the smooth texture of it, this jelly is featured in the rice flour pancakes below.
The blueberries and elderberries marry well together in the preserves and it tastes heavenly on crackers and scones. My husband has been eating the Elderberry Ginger Pecan Jam by the spoonful and my daughter loves the Elderberry Jam on toasted bread. They are delicious and wholesome, antioxidant rich condiments that the whole family will enjoy. All of the spreads are made from the same simple ingredients of yesteryear – natural fruit, pure sugar and fruit pectin, no chemical additives, no flavor enhancers, just pure, natural ingredients.
- 2 cups of organic rice flour
- 1/3 cup of Norm's Farms Elderberry Jelly
- 1.5 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tsp. ground flaxseeds
- 2 eggs, separated
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup crushed almonds
- Coconut oil for cooking
- Non-stick skillet
- Mix the flour together with the cinnamon and almonds and then set aside.
- Meanwhile, separate the eggs and add the egg yolks in a separate bowl along with with the elderberry jelly, vanilla extract and coconut milk.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together until everything is incorporated.
- Now, add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to incorporate.
- Set the batter aside and whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Now fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Ready the skillet with a little coconut oil and then cook the pancakes on low, flipping when circles form.
- Enjoy warm, either plain or with a dollop of fresh butter, vegan whip cream or pure maple syrup
Disclosure: I received a complementary sample of the products to facilitate this review, however, the opinions above are my own.
Giveaway: The generous folks at Norm’s Farms are giving away a four jars of their yummy all natural elderberry jams, jellies and preserves to one of my lucky readers. The giveaway is opened to all U.S residence 18+ and it will run until 9/3. To enter, simply complete one, some or all of the rafflecopter entries below. Thank you in advance for entering and good luck to you!