Best known for its role as a leavening agent in pastry creation, baking soda is a white powder formula. This formula that neutralizes acids in certain foods to make it more alkaline in nature. Baking soda’s usefulness goes way beyond the kitchen, in fact, it is one of the most popular ingredients in DIY beauty treatments. Its ability to neutralize odors as well as deter acne and other bacteria makes it ideal for skin recipes. Baking soda can also unclog pores, exfoliate and hydrate the skin.
The simple body scrub recipe below is perfect for those who suffer from body acne – while acne is more prevalent on the face and neck areas, it can actually form almost everywhere. This body scrub pairs baking soda with honey and tea tree oil to create a mildly medicated scrub that is effective at aiding troubled skin.
Baking Soda and Honey Scrub for Body Acne
Ingredients and Equipment:
- ½ cup aluminum-free baking soda
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- Pour all of the ingredients into the bowl and mix to incorporate
How to use:
- Massage scrub onto your clean and damp skin in a gentle circular motion.
- Next, allow the scrub to sit on the skin for up to 5 minutes before rinsing off.
- *Repeat this scrub twice a week to see lasting results*