Essential oils are key components in the areas of natural beauty and alternative health. Depending on their fragrance and properties, they have the holistic ability to shoo away feelings of depression, anxiety and sickness. Varieties of essential oils have also been praised for effectively eating odors, deterring bacteria and fungi, heightening sexuality, as well as strengthening the hair and skin, just to name a few…
What are Essential oils:
Essential oils aren’t the typical oils that you would use to cook with or slather on your body, instead, they are non-oily distilled liquid extractions from various plants.
How are Essential Oils Used:
All natural, cold pressed therapeutic essential oils are used by diluting in carrier oils, skin butters, soap bases or distilled water (EOs should never be applied undiluted). Essential oils can also be matched with other EOs to enhance its fragrance and wellness properties. Once you get started with essential oils, you will be able to master the art of making your own all natural health and beauty products, as well as DIY cleaning products. Visit our Natural Beauty page for recipes and inspiration.
Storing your Essential Oils:
High quality EOs are typically sold in dark amber or cobalt blue glass bottles – avoid transferring them to plastic bottles or clear glass. The dark color is effective at protecting the EO from premature oxidization and lose of therapeutic properties. They should be kept in a cool, dark place and away from sunlight.
Thank you in advance for making your EO purchase through our suggestions and affilations, however, please preform advance research before use of any essential oil as side effects such as toxicity, skin sensitivity, extreme sunburn and drug interaction may be a concern. Additionally, we make no claims that the suggestions posted can cure any disease or disorder, use at your own risk.
List of Popular Essential Oils and their Properties:
Bergamot: This EO has a sweet and spiced citrus fragrance that complements lotions, perfumes, massage oils, candles and soaps very well. Its properties include antibiotic, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and anti-depressant.
- Lavender: This EO has a light, flowery fragrance – it is used extensively in natural health and beauty as well as natural cleaning. Its properties include anti-inflammatory, antidepressant, antiseptic, antiviral and antibacterial. Lavender EO has been hailed as an excellent promoter of hair growth and a good night’s sleep, it is also used to deter acne and body pain.
- Peppermint Oil: Perhaps one of the most popular scents in the world, peppermint EO has a refreshing, minty fragrance. Its properties include anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, decongestant, antifungal and antibacterial. It can help boost memory and metal alertness while helping to deter stress, lice and dandruff.
- Tea Tree: Tea Tree EO is one of the best antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal agents available. It possess a strong woody fragrance. Tea Tree is used extensively in medicated soaps, lotions, shampoos and salves to remedy dandruff, lice, ring worm, athletes foot and other such ailments. Tea Tree detoxes the body and helps to balance the PH balance.
- Rose: Rose EO has a sweet, floral fragrance that can complement perfumes, candles, lotions and oils. Its properties include astringent, antidepressant, aphrodisiac and antiviral. Rose EO can create a calm, stress free atmosphere by deterring feelings of anxiety and depression.
- Patchouli: The sweet and musky aroma that Patchouli EO exudes makes it great for lotions, deodorants and rubs. Its properties include antidepressant, astringent, aphrodisiac and antiseptic. It has the ability to help wounds heal faster by promoting the production of cell growth. Patchouli is also used to remedy anxiety and lethargy.
- Chamomile: Chamomile EO is one of the best essential oils to remedy hair and skin ailments – its antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory can help promote healthy hair and trouble free skin. It is a popular additive in natural acne treatments as well as lotions and perfumes. Chamomile is also an excellent stress reliever and mood lifter.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus EO is a popular decongestant and cleanser, its properties include antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antiviral. It can help stimulate hair growth and blood circulation.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood EO is a antiseptic, diuretic and anti-inflammatory. It possess aphrodisiac properties as well as astringent and expectorant. It is used in health and beauty to remedy acne and to treat wounds.
- Ylang Ylang: Ylang Ylang EO is popular for balancing the PH levels of the hair and skin. It possess antidepressant, antiseptic and aphrodisiac properties. It can help calm anxiety and tension.