The act of purposely distancing oneself from food or drink can be traced back to the beginning of time. Back in those days, our ancestors would deprive themselves of anything edible for days, weeks and even months in the name of religion. Today, Fasting still plays a big part in religious ceremonies, however, the practice has also become a valued component in the world of alternative health…
Health Benefits of Fasting:
When done properly, Fasting can have a renewing and cleansing effect on the body. Fasting can also help repair damaged GI tract, detox acidic build-up, increase energy levels, balance the PH levels, improve all senses, deter stress, manage weight and fight off free radicals.
Methods of Fasting with A Liquid Diet:
One of the most effective ways to Fast for advanced health is to absent yourself from food and stick to a healthy all-liquid diet for at least two days a week, every single week. You see, most of us do not chew our food completely before swallowing, as a result, our system has to work harder to break down the food before digesting. Depending on the type and the amount of food we eat, the food can even start to decay before becoming digested which can lead to toxic build-up, GI issues and overgrowth of bad bacteria.
However, when adhering to a healthy liquid diet, the food is already in a digestible state, and most of the nutrients make it to their destination. Healthy liquids influence a healthy gut and a healthy gut influence the health of the rest of the body. The idea behind Fasting with a liquid diet is not to starve yourself, instead, the purpose is to nourish your body in a cleansing way. It is very important make certain that you are drinking enough healthy protein, antioxidants and calories to keep you energized and satisfied all day long. Below are a few methods to Fasting…
- Drink a Hearty Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner: Hearty and healthy protein shakes make ideal meal replacements when liquid dieting. Check out our “ healthy drink” board on pinterest and our ebooks on Amazon for a few recipes. Drink three Protein shakes a day in replace of breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Filtered Lemon Water: Drink at least eight glasses of filtered lemon water throughout the day to facilitate detox. Remember to drink the lemon water through a reusable straw to avoid eroding the enamel on your teeth.
- Manage your Craving: It is the classic “forbidden fruit” syndrome that takes place when you purposely deprive yourself of something that you want… you begin to crave. I manage my cravings by chewing on fennel seeds – not only does it taste good and calm my cravings, it is also helping to cleanse and renew my body. Additionally, you can manage your cravings by distracting yourself or taking a nap.
- Load up on Probiotics and Enzymes: Probiotics and live enzymes will encourage the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut. You can load up by drinking natural yogurts and kefirs and also by drinking grated ginger tea and shots of apple cider vinegar with warm water and raw honey.
- Load up on Antioxidants: Antioxidants will help fight off free radicals and strengthen the immune system. One way to make sure you are getting your antioxidants is by juicing a variety of antioxidant-rich fruits and veg. Drink two antioxidant-rich juices a day. Visit my healthy drink board on pinterest for recipes and check out our Eat Well ebooks
- Be Relaxed and Calm: Fasting isn’t just renewing for the body, it is also renewing for the soul. Make an effort to be relaxed and calm by meditating throughout the day and also by praying, reciting positive affirmations and breathing in deeply.
- Stretch: Make an effort to stretch for at least 30 minutes on the two days you reserve for Fasting. Stretching exercises such as yoga and Pilates facilitates advanced blood flow and the release of healthy endorphins.
- Slurp your Dessert: Options such as healthy versions of gelatin, puddings, and mooses are considered more of a drink than a food because there is no chewing involved. Such options are perfect treats to end your Fasting Day on. Check out our “almost guilt-free dessert board” for recipes and check out our recipe ebooks.
Once you have returned to your normal food-based diet, make an effort to chew your food completely and eat a diet of at least 70 percent natural, healthy options. Continue to juice and practice relaxation always. Additionally, it is important to exercise caution when Fasting. We make no claims that our suggestions can cure any disease, visit your doctor with your concerns beforehand.