This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Natural Living Blog Carnival hosted by Happy Mothering and the Green Moms Network. This month, our members are getting ready for back to school. Stop by all of the posts listed at the bottom of mine to get ideas on how you can make simple changes to make the school year more eco-friendly and natural.
While it is important to exercise your Green habits at home, it is equally important to take your eco-friendly initiatives throughout your community because total sustainability will only work if we recruit as many people as we can. For example, there are a lot of ways in which you can Green up your school year. Below are just a few…
A Few ways to Green up your School Year:
- Homeschool: Homeschooling is one the most eco-friendly methods of schooling your kids – fewer emissions will be expelled because you will be driving less, fewer supplies will be used and less money will be spent.
- Walk more: If you live within walking distance of your children’s school, leave the car at home and walk with them – walking is a wonderful way to exercise with your kids while also sparing the gas.
- Brown bag it: Pack lunches for your children in reusable lunch sacks – doing this will curb trash and allow you to feed your children healthier options.
- Suggest sustainable changes: Suggest sustainable changes to the principal of the school – give detailed suggestions on recycling, upcycling and cleaning more sustainably.
- Purchase eco-supplies: There are more sustainable options for common school supplies such as pens, pencils, highlighters, books, glue and school bags, purchase them instead of the trash-producing conventional varieties.
- Shop second-hand: Instead of purchasing new clothes every school year, opt to shop at second-hand stores for gently used clothing – doing so will save you money while extending the lifespan of the clothing.
- Recycle everything: Recycle everything that your children bring home from school.
- Uniform swap: Organize a uniform swap if your children wears uniforms to school.
Visit Happy Mothering and to learn more about participating in next month’s Natural Living Blog Carnival!
Please take some time to enjoy the posts our other carnival participants have contributed: