The thyroid is the body’s greatest prove that big things comes in small packages. It is the job of this butterfly shaped gland to continually produce the hormones responsible for regulating the metabolism and aiding the cells and organs throughout the body. Without the assistance of a healthy thyroid, internal- hysteria is bound to ensue. In fact, an imbalanced thyroid gland can encourage negative symptoms such as the formation of a goiter, graves disease, GI disorders, weight gain, insomnia, toxicity, ashen skin, brittle hair, lethargy, hypo/hyperthyroidism and cancer.
Statistics show that approximately 1 out of every 13 people in America currently suffer from some form of thyroid dysfunction. While there is no one single cause of an imbalanced thyroid, improper nutrition, stress, pregnancy, hormonal changes, iodine deficiency and hereditary are among the top culprits. Nevertheless, there are natural ways to support the thyroid gland, below just a few……
10 Natural Ways to Support your Thyroid Gland:
- Eat less goiterous foods: Certain foods can have the adverse ability to slow down the production of thyroid hormones. These foods do not need to be eliminated from your diet, however, they should be eaten sporadically and cooked before consuming. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, soy, radishes, bok choy and mustard greens are among the top goiterous foods.
- Detox regularly: The continual cleansing of bacteria and toxins will aid your cells and organs while also helping to keep your body at an alkaline level.
- Ditch gluten, dairy and wheat: While gluten, dairy and wheat are not deliberate thyroid degraders, they do have a connection. The over-consumption of these ingredients can cause extreme GI issues which in turn can put stress on the thyroid gland.
- Remove stress: The negative chemicals that stressing releases into the body can put pressure on the glands and organs within.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is used as a thyroid stimulator in the world of alternative health. The properties of coconut oil can jumpstart the metabolism and stimulate the thyroid while encouraging the presence of good bacteria.
- Consume live foods: Foods containing live enzymes such as sprouts, lacto-ferments and probiotics can strengthen the GI tract while cleansing the organs.
- Thyroid stimulating foods: Foods rich in iodine, magnesium, calcium, folic acid, protein and B complex are all effective at creating a balanced thyroid.
- Wheatgrass: Wheatgrass is another valued alternative thyroid aid, it can be added to green juices a few times a week.
- Yoga poses: Yoga poses that includes, corpse pose, child pose, sun salutation, fish pose and shoulder stand can encourage a balanced thyroid gland.
- Breathe clean air: Breathing poor quality air can alter the function of your thyroid. Quit smoking if you do, and clean your indoor air with houseplants and salt lamps.